Friday 14 September 2012

My hair might fall out

I know that because of the hormones and multi-vitamins we are required to take during pregnancy, the chances of this happening isn't great. However, I have been feeling more stressed this past week than I have done since the days of working 5 days a week and being in college full time. My brain feels heavy most of the time, and when I read an email that is related to the house we've just purchased or the impending move, my eyes feel strained and swollen, like they might actually pop out of my skull and roll away. I can just imagine them squealing in all their squishy eye glory "save yourself!". I've started grinding my teeth at night and I continue to have nightmares that are quite obviously based on the anxiety of being alone, facing parenthood, buying and moving into a new home etc.

So you see. My case is quite strong. My hair might really fall out. Though it's unlikely. The more likely result is that I'll get hormonal and stress related spots which will just make me irritable. Yes, it is possible, I can be more irritable than I normally am. Though, I'm working really hard on that flaw - its so unattractive and usually involves frowning, which causes premature ageing.

The little ray of hope came in the form of an appointment with an OB. Not my doctor - since I'm just really signed on with the obstetrical practise at Credit Valley Hospital. It means that I could have an appointment with any one of 11 doctors and that Baby OH could be delivered by any one of those 11 doctors - depending on who's on call. But the OB who met with me yesterday was wonderful. She was fairly young, warm, light-hearted, professional and just, made me feel like a woman on the brink of something exciting. This may seem strange to those who have not had to experience appointments with doctors like I have. I have felt uncomfortable, awkward, upset, frustrated, uncertain and usually a bit like a cow in a herd that happens to be expecting a calf, being pushed along the conveyor belt for a quick feel and a nod. Ugh.

Perhaps it was simply the fact that this doctor referred to Baby OH as "your first little monkey". It melted my heart. Even though she was an hour late to the appointment. My weight gain is on the scale, but a bit low (WOOHOO!) and I have an anterior placenta. She was gobsmacked that no other doctor had mentioned it to me, since it quickly explained the delay in the feeling of movement. *sigh* A good doctor is hard to find.

I have not yet purchased a belly band, nor have I managed to bring myself to purchase maternity wear. I'll get there eventually. Out of desperation I'm sure!

2 comments:

  1. Aw, so glad you had a good appointment with what sounds like a superb doctor. I hope you have more with her AND that she is the one who delivers your first little monkey. :)

    And sorry about the stress. I completely understand and get the grinding teeth/nightmares.

    Wish I could be there with ya and helping you move/paint/etc.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lovely Lady. Yeah, it was such an encouraging appointment!! It really made me feel excited about being preggers again.

      Lady V, even if you WERE here, you would be ill-advised to lift and move etc. Besides, we have lots of opportunity in the years to come to help each other move and deal with stress. Good times ahead! xo

      Delete